March 16, 2020
To: SPRAT Members, Technicians and Evaluation Hosts
In response to the World Health Organization’s characterization of the COVID-19 virus as a pandemic on March 11, 2020, SPRAT is issuing the following notice, effective immediately. Employers and/or rope access technicians that were affected by COVID-19 prior to the date of this notice or encounter instances not covered by this notice should contact the SPRAT office at email@example.com.
1. As global regions and industries are affected differently by this pandemic, employers, rope access training companies, and Evaluation Session Hosts are best suited to consider their local conditions when deciding to continue operations, training, and/or hosting evaluation sessions.
2. As a temporary variance to Section 3.3.1. of SPRAT’s Safe Practices for Rope Access Work, employers operating rope access programs with rope access technicians whose certifications have expired as a result of this pandemic are still considered to be operating under the Safe Practices for Rope Access Work standard as long as all other requirements and recommendations of the standard are addressed appropriately. Employers should continue to ensure that rope access technicians have the appropriate training and skills to complete assigned responsibilities and tasks. If practicable, refresher training should be conducted.
3. Rope access technicians with expired certifications are encouraged to attend an evaluation session to re-certify or advance as soon as is practicable. As a temporary variance to Section 5.5.3. of SPRAT’s Certification Requirements for Rope Access Work, rope access technicians whose certifications expire during this period will be considered current when they attend their next evaluation session.
4. As a temporary variance to Section 5.5.2. of Certification Requirements for Rope Access Work, experience documented by rope access technicians whose certifications expire during this period may be used for certification advancement.
5. While no end date for this notice has been established, this notice will be reviewed by SPRAT’s Board of Directors prior to September 16th, 2020. SPRAT will institute a transitional period for employers to ensure re-certification of expired rope access technicians.
Troll (William McCook), SPRAT President